Navigate quickly

Gatton & District Historical Society

Location: 10 Freemans Road, Gatton Qld 4343, Australia
Mobile: 0409 873 495

The Headstock entrance was carved from a piece of timber using an adze & saw. The Rustic Gate features no metal fasteners. The Vehicle Access Gate replicates the entrance gate at the old Adare Homestead. The headpiece is carved from a single log using only broad axe & adze.

The Blenheim Rural Automatic Telephone Exchange was the last of the electro-mechanical types to operate in the district. Its service ended in 1983 & was purchased & moved to the Historical Society in 1989. Restored by two ex PMG technicians it can be used to operate telephones in the Soldiers Memorial Hall.

Timber in the Machinery Storage Shed was from Zischkes old Produce Building that was removed from Crescent Street, Gatton in 1982 & donated to the Historical Society. It now stores machinery & other objects until its restoration begins.

The Fire Station was erected in North Street in 1944 & enlarged in 1948 to house the Gatton Fire Brigade fire engine & equipment. The new fire station was built around 1960 & was shifted to the showgrounds & served as the poultry pavilion for nearly 20 years. It was relocated & restored to the Historical Village in 1986. It now houses the original 1948 Austin Fire Engine & equipment.

The Display Sheds were financed from the Australian Bicentenary Committee in 1987. They are used to house & display vehicles & engines during restoration & after completion.

The Logan Engine Shed is a major building that was constructed in three stages. The first bay was to house the Logan Ruston Hornsby Suction Gas Engine, which, in itself was a major restoration project. The iron roof trusses were salvaged from the Milton Tramway sheds in Brisbane. The first section was completed in 1988 & the remainder in 1992. Much of the paving & carpentry work was carried out by community service workers. This building houses a major collection of fully restored engines, several tractors & wagons.

The Hall was originally built at Caffey, a farming community 15km south of Gatton in 1931, as a dance hall & community centre. The hall became redundant in the late 1960's & was bought from the lands department for $75 in 1975. It was transported to the Historical Village site in one piece in 1978, refurbished & opened as a museum & library in 1982.

Come along to the Historical Village to see other fantastic reminders of our history.

Hours: :-Open by appointment. Schools, Groups & Coaches welcome. We do have Weddings & Photos.

52181
52181
52181
52181
52181

Description

Talk a walk through the past at the Historical Village next to beautiful Lake Apex.

The Management Committee meets on the third Monday of each Month at 4:30pm in the Museum.

Directions

Drive 90 kilometres west from Brisbane.(Highway A2)Take the Gatton exit 3 kilometres past the University of Queensland Gatton Campus. Drive through Gatton turning left at the second traffic lights and continue another 2 kilometres. Veer left onto Mt Sylvia / Tenthill Creek Rd after the Cultural Centre, take the next left into Freemans Rd. The Historical Village is overlooking Lake Apex.

Gatton & District Historical Society

10 Freemans Road, Gatton Qld 4343, Australia