Navigate quickly

The Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre is home to a dedicated Anzac Wall. This wall displays ten portraits and their stories of Lockyer Valley locals who fought in World War 1. Below is a listing of all ten brave men that are displayed on the wall. For more information about each man please come in to the Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre located in Gatton to see the wall and read more in depth each mans story.

PTE. James Andrews – 25th Battalion
Born in 1890, James was one of eight boys and three girls. James managed his family’s farm with one of his younger brothers and was a member of the Ma Ma Creek rifle club. At age 25 he enlisted along with his youngest, and under aged, brother. He arrived in France as part of the British Expeditionary Force in the middle of the enormous Battle of the Somme. The battle lasted 5 months and claimed one million lives. James died August 5th while in this battle. Two of his brothers also lost their lives later on in the war. In 1919, Mrs Andrews, mother of the three boys, erected a monument in dedication to her three sons. The memorable statue still stands today and can be found at the Ma Ma Creek Cemetery.

PTE. George Brimblecombe – 25th Aust. Machine Gun Company
Born 1895, George was the eldest child of nine. George was a dedicated helper on his family farm later becoming a church steward at Laidley as well as secretary of the Trustees and a member of the church choir. In 1917 he was transferred to the 25th Australian Machine Gun Company and was drafted for active service in France a month later. George had been wounded on three separate occasions by shrapnel and shells and was eventually discharged from the Army on Christmas Eve 1918. While his wounds affected him for the rest of his life, George bore them cheerfully. George married and settled down on his own farm. They later had children, and then volunteered for black-out duty and became lieutenant in the Volunteer Defence Corp and joined the Patriotic League when the Second World War arrived. George died on July 24th 1972 aged 77.

L/CPL. John Carmody – Imperial Camel Corps
Born May 1869 John worked for the railway department as a young man. In 1899, with his house being a tent by the railway lines, he married. While constantly shifting camp, the pair had four children, later moving to Laidley where they had the fifth and last child. At the age of 44 ½ years, John enlisted in the AIF and was assigned to the 17th Reinforcement, 2nd Light Horse Regiment. In 1916 John volunteered in the Imperial Camel Corps and was immediately promoted to Lance Corporal. He would frequently send postcards to his family of whom he missed deeply. After being hospitalised many types with serious illnesses, John was discharged from service on September 21st 1917. He died at age 75 in the year 1944.

PTE. William ‘George’ Hawck – 4th Pioneer Battalion
Born 1894 George grew up on the family farm. George joined the Light Horse as a teenager, serving for four years prior to enlisting in the war. In September 1916 he signed up for active service. He departed on the HMAT Kyarra, a hospital ship, in 1917. Eleven months later he was taken on strength with the 7th Reinforcements, 4th Pioneer battalion. George survived the war and returned to him and beloved wife in 1919. George’s and his father’s business grew and would later be known as Nolan’s Interstate Transport. He later passed away aged 87 in the year 1981.

PTE. Silas Hodges – 49th Battalion
Silas was born 1896 and at age 19, put his age up to 21 when he enlisted in 1915. He was posted to the 9th Battalion. June 12 1916 Silas was sent to France and was posted to the front line and was admitted to hospital several times due to illness from the conditions of the trenches. In May of 1917 Silas was killed when his Lewis machine gun malfunctioned, he was aged 20. Silas’ name as listed on the memorial at Villers-Bretonneux.

SGT. Patrick ‘Paddy’ Linnan – 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born 1893, as a young man Patrick spent his time working on his father’s farm. Paddy rose to the rank of sergeant in the local 2nd Light Horse militia and left Brisbane in 1914. On May 12 Paddy was sent to Gallipoli and remained there for the duration of the campaign. From July 1918 12 sickness started to plague him and he was admitted to hospital with malaria and later double bronchial pneumonia. One November 4, 1918 Paddy died aged 25.

Major Thomas ‘Tom’ Logan – 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born 1877, Thomas was the eldest of seven boys and six girls. Tom first saw conflict in the Boer War in South Africa. Starting out as a trooper, Tom soon gained his corporal stripes. He received a flesh wound when a bullet passed through the neck of his horse and cut his own neck. He was awarded the Queen’s Medal with five clasps. Tom then returned home and after an arduous campaign. When the Great War broke out in 1914, at age 34, he re-enlisted and was immediately appointed a major. He was sent to Gallipoli in 1915. Thomas was gunned down in a charge against the Turks at age 38 leaving his wife and six children behind.

TPR. William James Peach – 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born in 1899, William was 18 ½ years when he enlisted. He was posted to the Middle East where his regiment was under constant shelling and attack from the Turks. On July 13th 1918, large bodies of Turkish infantry massed, attacking in the early hours of the 14th. William had died in action. His name is commemorated in the Jerusalem Memorial to the Missing.

TPR. (Sigs.) Dallas ‘Dal’ Ryan – 11th Light Horse Regiment 
Born 1896, before enlisting, Dallas worked on the Grafton to Newcastle Railway. In October of 1917, Dallas was sent to the Signals Training Unit and was later attached to the 11th Light Horse Regiment. After the war, Dal was called on to help quell the Egyptian Riots of 1919 despite bouts of malaria and dysentery. He was given clearance to go home later that year. Resuming his life back home, Dal married and had six children. The family relocated to Laidley in 1941 where he campaigned for a swimming pool, which now bears his name. Dallas Ryan was the last surviving member of the 11th Light Horse Regiment and one of the last surviving Australian veterans of the First World War. He died aged 98 in the year 1995.

TPR. Herrmann ‘Harry’ Topp – 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born 1892, Harry and his elder brother joined the 13th Light Horse in 1910. He later enlisted as part of the 2nd Light Horse in 1914 despite his mother’s wishes. While posted at Pope’s Hill he was hit by Turkish shrapnel and taken away on a hospital ship. Although his leg did not fully recover until years later Harry was sent back to Gallipoli late 1915. His regiment was then evacuated. It was while he was in England that he met his wife to be. They then travelled back to Australia in October 1919. Harry died on 27 may, 1986 and is interred in the Allambe Memorial Park at Nerang.



Visitor Centre

Lockyer Valley Visitor Information 
Centre (Gatton)

Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre
34 Lake Apex Drive
Gatton 4343

Phone: +61 7 5466 3426

Opening Hours:
Daily 9am - 4pm


Saturday, May 28, 2022
  • 22°C Mostly sunny. Sat
  • 23°C Shower or two. Sun
  • 19°C Windy. Sunny. Mon
  • 18°C Mostly sunny. Tue